Founded in the 1940’s, The Southern Co. started with its beginnings in Memphis, TN. SOCO opened an office in Little Rock, AR around the mid 50’s. About that time, a young and enterprising salesman named Bud Mulligan, moved from Memphis to Arkansas to run the company’s branch office. Continuing on with that entrepreneurial spirit, Mr. Mulligan bought the branch operations in 1975 and it became known as The Southern Co. of North Little Rock, Inc.
In 2004 the original owner began negotiations with Michael Shelby and Philip Grace who were business associates and friends. They came from various business backgrounds but both had spent their careers in management and customer service areas.
While maintaining the sales, service and installation of equipment in the petroleum retail market, the new partners have also expanded into the areas of commercial and industrial work. The company works closely with Architects, Engineering Firms, and General Contractors helping them to understand our scope and to lend our services to help design what the end-user wants. Our customers have taken us nationwide, and now include municipalities, hospitals, airports, data centers, fleet customers, power plants, and oilfield service companies, along with our steady business from oil marketers.
Environmental services for the industrial and petroleum industries were offered as a “sideline” service as early as 1980, and the Environmental Division was formally established in 1992. The Southern Company is a licensed emergency responder and clean-up consultant for the Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ). In addition, we are a licensed general contractor in the state of Arkansas, as well as Louisiana, North Dakota, Tennessee, Oklahoma, and Texas.